White House Using Twitter to Communicate
That’s right, press secretary Robert Gibbs is on Twitter as @PressSec. He just started this month and CNN reports:
Gibbs says he became fascinated with Twitter when he followed a live stream of reporters tweeting President Obama’s press conference in the briefing room on February 2.
The purpose of the account is to provide additional information the press secretary receives on a daily basis. Gibbs explains,
“There’s a tremendous amount of information that we all get and have to read and go through each day,” Gibbs said. “This is certainly one way to get, on a rolling basis, to see a lot of that information in front of you.”
He follows journalists and pundits, i.e. his target audience. That’s a pretty good tip! Social media sites were blocked by the last administration and dealing with the Presidential Records Act when it comes to social media has been difficult, but it appears a policy has been created.
Government is rarely the early adopter of new technology, but when they do, you know that technology is important. Press secretary Gibbs has done three things every business owner should do when it comes to social media –
1. He figured out how to use it and then decided to employ it.
2. He’s following his target audience to figure out what they want from him.
3. He consulted with the proper technical and legal people to come up with a use policy.
Ok, now I need to start following @PressSec!
Contact SEO by Swaby
Salt Lake City, UT
Business Insight Correspondent for:
Archive by Month
- December 2014 (1)
- November 2014 (2)
- October 2014 (14)
- September 2014 (1)
- July 2014 (3)
- September 2013 (1)
- January 2013 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- June 2011 (1)
- April 2011 (1)
- March 2011 (5)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
- November 2010 (5)
- October 2010 (3)
- September 2010 (5)
- August 2010 (11)
- July 2010 (11)
- June 2010 (14)
- May 2010 (1)
- April 2010 (7)
- March 2010 (10)
- February 2010 (14)
- January 2010 (16)
- December 2009 (15)
- November 2009 (23)
- October 2009 (43)
- September 2009 (31)
- August 2009 (8)
Contact Me on SEOmoz
Check out the SEO Services Marketplace
- RT @BetaList: Sitefoil: IFTTT for e-commerce and websites btl.st/1FYSmfK http://t.co/nrpjrpIwhI 15 hours ago
- RT @BetaList: 121Gym: Smart Workouts for your Pebble Watch btl.st/1DdVA9d http://t.co/luaK9ftAUE 17 hours ago
- RT @BetaList: Cubes: See your files. Instagram for mail btl.st/1wrnLEL http://t.co/R6GtADMqlw 19 hours ago
- RT @BetaList: Sales Bridge: Simply better scheduling btl.st/1FYpS5U http://t.co/yALxys8y8p 21 hours ago
- RT @BetaList: TlkTlk: Breakthrough video chat for your family, friends and team-mates btl.st/1BfqXDL http://t.co/qg5aCgSfU7 23 hours ago
- Facebook Has Replaced the Annual Christmas Letter
- I Just Broke up With foursquare
- Real Estate Online Marketing Class
- 5 WordPress Plugins You Must Have
- Do I Need a SEO Plugin?
- How to Choose a WordPress Plugin or Theme
- Real Estate Agents Should be Using Twitter Now!
- How to Build a Twitter Following Organically
- My Biggest Twitter Regret
- Twitter is the Go To Social Media Channel