What Warren Buffett Knows About Facebook
One ad promotion that stuck out to me was a call to action for a Facebook fan page from furniture seller RC Willey. They were giving away a 32″ HD TV by drawing just for fanning their page.
More interesting is they wanted you to do it right then…on your mobile phone. Even though the audience wasn’t at full capacity of 19,000, this seems like a pretty bold move to run an entire season. Besides giving away the TV, they also advertised the TV was available for sale.
For those of you that don’t know, RC Willey, though started as a local company, is part of Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) companies.
My takeaways from this campaign are two-fold –
1. Berkshire, Buffett and RC Willey recognize the power of social media and much like Pepsi, they’re willing to pay for it through advertising and give aways.
2. They also recognize the power of the mobile web. The promotion didn’t call for people to go home and follow their fan page, it called for them to do it right there and then because RC Willey knows people are using mobile Internet.
This is just the beginning I think and every business not employing social media should be paying attention. As I meet with clients and potential clients, I analyze the social media option and more often than not, it’s a very good fit. From home builders to insurance agents, social media seems to be the way to go.
I’ve got an exciting test project I’m launching next week that will really put these theories to the test. In the mean time, check out RC Willey’s Facebook page. You might win a TV the next time you’re at a Jazz game!
Contact SEO by Swaby
Salt Lake City, UT
Business Insight Correspondent for:
Archive by Month
- April 2016 (1)
- December 2014 (1)
- November 2014 (2)
- October 2014 (14)
- September 2014 (1)
- July 2014 (3)
- September 2013 (1)
- January 2013 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- June 2011 (1)
- April 2011 (1)
- March 2011 (5)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
- November 2010 (5)
- October 2010 (3)
- September 2010 (5)
- August 2010 (11)
- July 2010 (11)
- June 2010 (14)
- May 2010 (1)
- April 2010 (7)
- March 2010 (10)
- February 2010 (14)
- January 2010 (16)
- December 2009 (15)
- November 2009 (23)
- October 2009 (43)
- September 2009 (31)
- August 2009 (8)
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- My Last Blog Post…Because Blogs Are Dead
- Facebook Has Replaced the Annual Christmas Letter
- I Just Broke up With foursquare
- Real Estate Online Marketing Class
- 5 WordPress Plugins You Must Have
- Do I Need a SEO Plugin?
- How to Choose a WordPress Plugin or Theme
- Real Estate Agents Should be Using Twitter Now!
- How to Build a Twitter Following Organically
- My Biggest Twitter Regret