Can Social Media Really Destroy a Company?
At the beginning of the year, I made a bold prediction that some major company would either destroy their image or completely go under because of social media. It looks like I’m not too far off the mark.
The fact is, the numbers don’t lie. There are more people on Facebook worldwide than the entire population of the United States. In the U.S. one in three people have a Facebook account. Those numbers simply can’t be ignored.
The president of CNN feels the same way and he’s scared to death. Jonathan Klein stated at a recent conference, “The competition I’m really afraid of are social networking sites. That’s an alternative that threatens to pull people away from us.” Mr. Klein, it already has. I first heard of Michael Jackson’s death from a message board I frequent. They linked to a TMZ story. While CNN was still awaiting confirmation and stating Jackson was in a coma, TMZ claimed he was dead. It took several hours before CNN caught up with the “real” story.
Some people may question the journalistic integrity of a company like TMZ and others may question whether a rush to print for the sake of eyeballs is really in everybody’s best interest. The fact is, the nature of journalism has changed. I’ll be the first to admit we’re walking a fine line between accuracy and timeliness, but the fact remains, TMZ got the story right.
Personally, I can name off a number of newsworthy events I first heard of through social media. Patrick Swayze’s death along with the Haiti earthquake all hit my social media radar before I read the news. I don’t even read the news much any more unless some contact of mine gives me a reason to.
So what does this relate to a company going out of business? My thesis is social media has the power to completely take out a clueless company…no matter how big. Mr. Klein gives a lot of authority to social media as well. The article concludes -
On a broader scale, Klein seems to be saying that social networks’ users can easily – even unwittingly – make or break major corporations.
It could go either way. I think we’ll see amazing examples of both…this year. Happy March!
Contact SEO by Swaby
Salt Lake City, UT
Business Insight Correspondent for:
- The One Question All Your Advertising Should Answer
- Social Media and Crime - Part 3
- Blogger Quick Tip - Connect Your Blog to LinkedIn
- Kiddie Kandids Closes...Demise Told on Facebook
- Foursquare Etiquette at Weddings
- Six Sales Principles for Internet Marketing
- Facebook for Business - Powerpoint Presentation
- How Should Facebook be Used?
- Utah's Top Bloggers
- Halloween Web Traffic Isn't Scary
Archive by Month
- November 2014 (2)
- October 2014 (14)
- September 2014 (1)
- July 2014 (3)
- September 2013 (1)
- January 2013 (2)
- March 2012 (1)
- June 2011 (1)
- April 2011 (1)
- March 2011 (5)
- February 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (1)
- November 2010 (5)
- October 2010 (3)
- September 2010 (5)
- August 2010 (11)
- July 2010 (11)
- June 2010 (14)
- May 2010 (1)
- April 2010 (7)
- March 2010 (10)
- February 2010 (14)
- January 2010 (16)
- December 2009 (15)
- November 2009 (23)
- October 2009 (43)
- September 2009 (31)
- August 2009 (8)
Contact Me on SEOmoz
Check out the SEO Services Marketplace
- RT @BetaList: Monitority: Free website monitoring service btl.st/1J9iWCR http://t.co/KWumCeX4Do 3 hours ago
- RT @BetaList: Salsa: Share something spicy about your job or company btl.st/1xsiBHN http://t.co/VjyQseLmTa 4 hours ago
- RT @BetaList: Screeps: The world's first MMO strategy sandbox game for programmers btl.st/1GsLyEV http://t.co/Szu9Nvtxkm 1 day ago
- RT @BetaList: Blinq: Make your text messages more fun & productive btl.st/1uSI4mT http://t.co/ZRH55b65Uz 1 day ago
- RT @BetaList: Online Labs: Infrastructure-as-a-service based on ARM physical servers btl.st/1uYtI5r http://t.co/wRU912i6od 1 day ago
- I Just Broke up With foursquare
- Real Estate Online Marketing Class
- 5 WordPress Plugins You Must Have
- Do I Need a SEO Plugin?
- How to Choose a WordPress Plugin or Theme
- Real Estate Agents Should be Using Twitter Now!
- How to Build a Twitter Following Organically
- My Biggest Twitter Regret
- Twitter is the Go To Social Media Channel
- Keywords are Everywhere – 5 Things You Don’t Know About Keywords